- Closely following developments in Louisiana education policy in the state Department of Education, the legislature, and the courts
- Seeking out the stories of teachers, parents, students and others living the ongoing education revolutions in Louisiana
- Filing in-depth radio reports for the Southern Education Desk monthly
- Contributing to coverage of education produced by the newsrooms at WWNO and WRKF, including appearing on talk shows and filing spot news as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in journalism
- Demonstrated ability to spot a story and capture it for radio, using audio recorded in the field and edited in the studio
- Professional and conversational on-air presence
- Facility with social media and multimedia storytelling
- Ability to tell complex stories without losing nuance
- Impeccable attention to accuracy and fairness
To apply, email a résumé, links to three samples of work you’re proud of, and a cover letter with one education story idea to WRKF News Director Amy Jeffries, firstname.lastname@example.org, and WWNO News Director Eve Troeh, email@example.com.
Applications received by Dec. 15, 2014, will be given priority consideration.
Posted Nov. 11, 2014
Underwriting Sales Representative
WRKF seeks a goal-oriented sales professional for the position of Underwriting Sales Representative
Responsibilities include cultivating and soliciting corporate support from Baton Rouge area businesses and agencies for radio and web sponsorship; prospecting new leads and generating new revenue opportunities; maintaining a strong relationship with underwriters after agreements are solidified and signed.
- Two years of demonstrated success in sales experience preferably in a business to business category or selling an intangible service or high end product
- Strong communication skills, including diplomacy, negotiating, writing correspondence, and oral presentations to individuals and groups
- Familiarity with basic software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and databases
- Familiarity with public radio
- Experience with the Baton Rouge business and media communities is desirable.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent is desirable
Compensation consists of three month guarantee to transition to commission on underwriting revenue.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted Oct. 29, 2014
Contributing Health Reporter
WRKF is seeking an enterprising contributor to produce weekly two-minute reports on health and health policy in Louisiana. This is a part-time, freelance position.
The contributing reporter will closely follow developments in state health policy and Louisiana’s responses to federal initiatives and deliver sound rich, character-driven coverage that pes into the lives of patients, doctors and researchers at work.
The reports will air during WRKF’s drive-time broadcasts and will be distributed as a podcast. A successful reporter will be motivated to become a respected authority on Louisiana’s health beat.
- At least three years reporting experience
- Demonstrated news judgment
- Aptitude for radio journalism and production
- Ability to turn stories on tight deadlines
- Solid communication habits
- Impeccable attention to accuracy and fairness
Interested applicants should email News Director Amy Jeffries, email@example.com, with a resumé, links to three work samples, and a cover letter including one idea for a unique Louisiana health story.
Qualified applicants will be invited to produce a story on spec immediately.
Posted Sept. 2, 2014.
WRKF offers newsroom internships to foster passion for public radio and develop local talent.
Interns work alongside the station's experienced journalists, researching stories, writing broadcast copy, gathering sound, and producing pieces for air.
WRKF's internships are open to college students, recent graduates, and members of the community.
Internships are part-time, unpaid opportunities.
Listen to some of the feature stories produced by WRKF interns.
Scholarships in Broadcast Journalism
WRKF offers scholarships to college students. The scholarships have been created by donors to the Baton Rouge Area Foundation. Scholarships are primarily awarded based on financial need, academic achievement, and good citizenship.
The WRKF scholarship was created to promote the study of broadcast journalism at LSU and Southern University. The scholarship award is to be used toward the following, in order of priority:
- tuition and fees
- room and board
- books and supplies
- commuting expenses.
The recipients are to be selected by an independent selection and review committee.
To apply for the scholarship, please review the guidelines, determine your eligibility, and submit the scholarship application and supporting materials. The foundation staff will review all of the applications, schedule any necessary interviews, and submit materials to the foundation board for review and final decision.
For more information including scholarship amounts and application deadlines visit BRAF.org.
To make a donation to the scholarship fund, contact the Baton Rouge Area Foundation at 225-387-6126 or 877-387-6126.
WRKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer
WRKF does not discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person's race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Discriminatory employment practices are specifically prohibited by the Federal Communications Commission.