The fact that many of the plants we grow as ornamentals are considered poisonous is a topic that horticulturists don't often discuss. After all, cases of people eating poisonous plants is relatively rare, and there's no need to cause the public undue alarm.
However, especially for those of us with children or pets, there is a need to be aware that poisonous plants do exist in our landscapes and inside our homes. A surprising number of indoor and outdoor plants are considered poisonous.
Remember to teach children not to eat plants and to be aware of what certain poisonous plants look like. Never make medical preparations from your plants. Also be aware that cooking doesn't necessarily destroy the poisonous properties of plants. Don't eat wild mushrooms unless you know exactly what you're doing.